Sweeney Todd: The demon barber of Fleet Street

Yes! I finally went to see the movie after all this time. First thing first. I have to say that I was excited to see the movie because of the time issue. Second Deep/Burton/Bonham colaboration [the sixth for Burton & Depp] again and it was a musical, fantastique. Being number two the main reason to see the movie. I am not into musicals that much but I can surely enjoy a good one. I liked Chicago. Now to the movie on topic.

The characters Benjamin Barker/Sweeney Todd played brilliantly by Johnny Depp. He ruled and owned that character all the way. I saw him singing on Cry Baby but hey singing an actual play he was outstanding for sure he did the notes and all so that was impressive. He really made you feel the madness that lives in his soul. Finding only calm by searching revenge. Mrs. Lovett played by Helena Bonham Carter love her sarcasm and the love she haves and always had for mister Todd. She is so loyal to him and she was even preagnant while filming so that gives her extra credits it isnt easy to do all that when you are not used to do it. The kid named Toby played by Ed Sanders that kid can really sing and being so young he did a quite impressive work here I bet he will have many calls after this. Anthony Hope played by Jamie Campbell Bower [really cute guy] is the guy in love with Johanna very well played by Jayne Wisener [she is like a little bird singing so sweet voice she haves she is kind of unknown]. Judge Tupin played by Alan Rickman he is amazing every time I see him acting I get more happy to see him on so many different kinds of character mostly bad guys but they are so well developed that you have to love his wicked ways. Beadle played by Timothy Spall gosh I hate this guy [well his character in the movie] but the acting was good he haves some good skills in wicked acting along side Alan on this movie too [they have work together on Harry Potter movies too]. Signor Pirelli played by Sacha Baron Cohen fastastique roll well done I did hated him for a while in the movie but then he was gone [haha], very good acting by him gorgeous colorful outfit.

I never seen the musical but for what I have read around the net and papers and heard on tv for a musical it is great. I liked the soundtrack all the songs sang by the cast no outsiders [the way it haves to be]. The colors ambience so well done. Photography did an amazing work. Burton directed perfectly it did feel like a play in some parts. The colors were worked properly to show the decadence of the time dark greys, crimson describe pretty well the whole mood and situations along the epoque of and timeline. Love the color red on the film. Lots and lots of red bloody red. One thing that got me worried at some parts was that i laughed at some not funny parts of the movie but I really enjoyed it and was like just waiting for the kill to happen.

There were people that complained at the theater that it was slow and that they fell sleep because of the singing. Hmmm!!! It was a musical what the hell you expect dude didnt you knew they sing on musicals.

Anyways.... I think Mr.Stephen Sondheim is happy with the final result. This movie had like many good things it got nominations for the Oscars and the Golden Globe. I am sure the investors are happy now and calmed down and finally understood there was no reason to doubt of Mr Burton choices. Directed by the genious Tim Burton. Filmed in UK. Rated R for the bloody scenes [Yey!!] I dont think that right now other director would be capable of making this kind of film since it is so dark and obscure it couldnt be treated lightly.

Sweeney Todd: "They all deserve to die. Tell you why, Mrs. Lovett. Tell you why. Because in all of the whole human race Mrs. Lovett there are two kinds of men and only two. There's the one staying put in his proper place and one with his foot in the other one's face. Look at me, Mrs Lovett! Look at you! No, we all deserve to die. Even you, Mrs Lovett, even I!"

Comments