Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Puerto Rican X-Mas 101 [Ch. 1]

Chapter 1
[Food]

Yes. I am puertorican and yes we celebrate X-Mas with flavor. We dont eat pavo [turkey] on X-Mas eve or day. We eat pernil, arroz con gandules y pasteles [no... no tortas o cakes.. pasteles] The pasteles are made from plantanos o yucas and are filled up inside with pork, chicken, or any meet [wonder if someone have ever tried tofu on that... yuk!!! sorry dont like tofu]. So you might be wondering how a typical serving on a X-Mas day shold look. Well wonder no more. It is here. Ohh.. I am missing la morcilla [cause I dont eat dont eat it anymore, long story..]. What is morcilla [ha ha] dont ask just sit back tell someone to give you a piece and enjoy you will like it believe me. After you eat it then ask what is morcilla. You can also add ensalda de coditos, lechuga [green salad or any kind of salad] and I miseed out the postres and coquito too. For postres we had arroz con dulce and majarete made by mi abuelo amazing. Ohh and the coquito se acabo y no tenia rum cause in my house people dont drink so.. Pero believe me you HAVE to try it with rum. I made the adobo for los perniles and damn they were good. My dad cooked them up as always. I will take pics of the house and thing so you get an idea of how we celebrate and decor the house.

Ok so here the pictures.

From top to bottom: pernil while it is getting cooked, then all sliced up, arroz con gandules, pasteles [una yunta], and the full service]

No comments:

Post a Comment

© 2004–2016 REAVEL. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

All photographs, written content and design are the sole property of the site owner unless otherwise indicated.
Respect others creativity. Thanks!
Please see the FAQ page for additional information, including policies and disclaimers.